Liza Zhytkova is a first-year TAM student who plans to study in Amsterdam for her second year in the program. She writes:
This past weekend, I had the incredible opportunity of attending the Sustainability and Development Goals Action Zone within the Youth Climate Summit at the UN Headquarters in NYC. Over the course of the day, I listened to and spoke with young climate activists from all over the world about our generation’s fierce commitment to combatting climate change. Some of the fiercest voices at the summit came from Germany, Brazil, and island countries such as the Bahamas that are feeling the effects of climate change. One conversation that stood out to me was with panelist Johanna Schwarz, a UN Youth Representative and Consultant, who discussed the corporate responsibility aspect of sustainability with me, along with what the youth can do to fight environmentally detrimental lobbying efforts. The summit peaked my interest in sustainability and development efforts, particularly in Europe. I’m excited to explore this topic more and potentially develop my thesis around it.
Liza was interviewed by Business Insider while in New York for the UN event. Please link and scroll down to her interview here.